1. Futuristic. Be inspired by strong vision and purpose. Concern yourself only with positive possibilities for the future.
2. Optimistic. Visualize and expect the best result or outcome all the time. Attitude is everything.
3. Communication. Effective and efficient communication will always ease the change process. Be honest, be open and be kind to others.
4. Unity. There must be uniformity and commitment. Everyone must be on board and committed to finding a positive outcome.
5. Strategic. Be strategic in your approach and seek to maximize every opportunity, no matter how obscure or unlikely.
Each step in the F.O.C.U.S. process works together with every other, and not until you have understood, practiced and applied each step will you see a positive turnaround. Remember, attitude is everything; everything is attitude.
On 11 September 2001 the world stood still — it was a crisis almost beyond imagining. When the first plane crashed into the World Trade Center in New York, the world was shocked. How could such an accident happen? Then as the second plane crashed into the towers and the world realized it was not an accident the scale of the horror was realized. As far as crises go, September 11 was monumental and the images we saw on that terrible day are seared into our memories forever.
And yet even that crisis created new opportunities. September 11 resulted in a sharp decline in executive travel as people simply did not want to fly to business meetings. When they recognized this shift in behavior, business partners Tim Duffy and Steve Gandy applied the principles of F.O.C.U.S. Taking a futuristic, optimistic approach, they created MeetingZone to strategically fill the gap in the market by creating a new communication channel for busy executives unwilling to fly.
MeetingZone used the best technology to allow people to collaborate without being in the same physical location — very handy for busy executives who were keen to cut back on their business travel. Rather than video conferencing, which could be patchy and unreliable, they focused on simple, reliable voice conferencing and web collaboration tools. Today MeetingZone is operating in the UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Canada and the USA, with sales in excess of £8.2 million. MeetingZone has gone from strength to strength and for three years running has featured in the Sunday Times Microsoft Tech Track 100 list of the fastest growing technology companies in the private sector, with average annual growth rates of 50 to 60 per cent.
Bounce Forward is the title of my new book and it looks at the latest research and study we are seeing in resilience and corporate and personal turnarounds highlighting how to turn crisis into success. The above F.O.C.U.S strategy is just one of the many proven methodologies to Bounce Forward. Join the free 12 Day Challenge today at samcawthorn.com and begin your Bounce Forward.